Miracle Farms HydroponicsTM
Consultants Page 2
Page 2 (This Page)
|REVIEW OF OPERATING RESULTS|
What is NFT Hydroponics ?
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
Project Phase 1
Project Phase 2
Project Phase 3
PRO FORMA STATEMENTS
|[Take the Miracle Farms Web Tour]|
REVIEW OF OPERATING RESULTS:
The main goal of Franklin & Co. has been to develop a commercially-viable NFT hydroponics greenhouse complex capable of totally sustainable, energy-efficient, year-around fresh food production in severely cold or hot climates. Canada imports 96% of its fresh produce from other countries, especially Mexico, Florida, and California. In the last decade, droughts, flooding, water shortages, and high fuel costs, have led to shortages and price increases.
The economic benefits of achieving this goal would be very great. Mr. Wessell and Mr. Thomas, being pioneers of modern hydroponics, knew in the 70's that such greenhouse technology did not exist on the planet; but they were confident that they could discover and develop it. After over two decades of global R & D, the Technology, Design, Expertise and Northern Climate Data Base leading to this goal was reached at the Miracle House Stage I Solar Hydroponic Research Module. located in N. Alberta in 1991:
In conventional cold climate hydroponics greenhouses the usual case is:
1. The use of peat moss, coir, or other bag culture, which uses a more expensive, spaghetti-tube NFT feeding system; resulting in higher operating costs and less productivity. Our Pure NFT tomato crops yield an average increase of 14% per sq. meter over conventional NFT tomato crops.
2. It is nearly impossible to grow a third crop in existing Canadian greenhouses because of insufficient winter sunlight and high heating costs. Therefore, they usually shut down from November to February:
First Crop: plant in February -- harvest in May or June
Second Crop: plant in May or June -- harvest in September or October
In the Miracle Farms Commercial Hydroponics Greenhouse Complex we add:
Third Crop: plant in September or October -- harvest in January or February. This crop receives a premium price on the market because competing produce is shipped-in long distances from tropical countries. Three crops of tomatoes and four crops of English Cucumbers can be grown per year in addition to many other crops such as mini cucumbers, green, red, and yellow sweet peppers, and lettuces.
This is most advantageous during the cold, winter months in Canada, when the growing season is short and nothing can grow outdoors. As a result, our winter harvests receive higher mnarket prices.
IN FACT, PLANTINGS ARE STAGGERED, SO THE COMPLEX CONTINUALLY HARVESTS YEAR - AROUND, SINCE ITS INSIDE TEMPERATURE, LIGHT & HUMIDITY, ARE PERFECT FOR PLANT GROWTH NO MATTER WHAT WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE OUTSIDE.
3. Most fruit-bearing plants such as tomatoes, green peppers, and strawberries, need sunny, warm, and dry days for their fruit to pollinate. If three or more cloudy days occur in a row, a percent of fruit will not set, and harvests decrease. Inside Miracle Farms, with its H.I.D. (High Intensity Discharge) lights and total drip control, it is a sunny, warm, and dry environment 365 days per year. As a result we achieve perfect 100% fruit set or maximum pollination! It is truly unique to be in Miracle Farms during a Christmas blizzard and watch flowering, growing tomato plants being bathed under H.I.D. lights and look outside to see frozen -40 C snow drifts with nothing growing for months to come.
4. Since we have a Total Drip Control greenhouse, the costs of infestation from insects, algae, moss, fungus, weeds, and numerous soil-born plant disease virus, and bacteria are mostly eliminated. Pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, or other environmentally damaging chemicals are never used. This quality advantage returns premium market prices from health-conscious consumers.
LICENSED NFT HYDROPONICS GROWING SYSTEMS:
Franklin & Co. has developed numerous NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) hydroponics growing systems:
1. Optimum NFT Nutrient Formulae
2. Hydroponics seedling chamber where new seedlings are nursed from sprouts to transplantable seedlings under perfect NFT growing conditions. This chamber is essential for healthy, fast growing and productive plants.
3. A production-line lettuce operation which minimizes operating costs.
4. Computerized plant control, monitoring, and testing instrumentation.
5. Injection hydroponics plumbing and nutrient delivery systems.
HYDROPONICS PLANT SCIENCE R & D
Franklin & Co. has been awarded Hydroponics Scientific Research and Experimental Development Grants from the Canadian Federal Government from 1984 to 1990. This work has advanced upon the Hydroponics R & D pioneered in the 1960's by the late Mr. Bob Wessell, a former NASA engineer. Much of this work is highly confidential because of its great economic potential, and the Company's commitment to maintain its competitive edge; yet, presently, his Miracle Farms Optimum NFT Formulae are available under license. World record growth rates have been achieved :
Tomato Plants : 2.5 inches per day
English Cucumber Plants : 3.5 inches per day
Yellow & Green Bean Plants : 11 inches per day
Plant growth variable research is being conducted by Mr. Thomas in association with other researchers. "Deciphering" certain plant growth variables using computer monitoring and advanced instrumentation electronics has only recently gained attention, and promises to greatly increase plant growth and maturity rates. After over a decade of successful research in this field, Mr. Thomas is confident of another break-through in the near future which will make hydroponics even more profitable.MARKET POTENTIAL:
3. The R & D Policy of the Company is to remain a world leader in the modern science of hydroponics.
There is an enormous, almost un-tapped market in Canada for Miracle Farm's hot house premium quality fresh produce:
2. Long English Cucumbers
3. Romaine, Butter, and Leaf Lettuce
4. Green, Yellow, and Red Peppers
6. Green and Yellow Beans
8. and many varieties thereof.
Approximately 96% of Canada's fresh produce is imported. Toronto alone buys more than 150 million heads of lettuce every year and 90% of them are imported. Canadians consume an average of 25 lbs. of tomatoes per person per year -- a staggering 1/2 billion lbs.!Our Market Potential Studies indicate the demand in the Province of Alberta alone for more than 50 acres of Miracle Farms Hydroponics. .......
Now, with the advanced technology of Miracle Farms Commercial Hydroponics we can compete more effectively against high-priced foreign imports by:
1. Lowering our production costs and increasing greenhouse productivity.
2. Profitable, 365 day per year production.
3. Reducing transportation and spoilage costs by choosing greenhouse sites near local markets.
4. Developing a sustainable supply of fresh vegetables in Canada.
5. Reducing the increased cost of fresh vegetables in Canada due to radical global climate changes.
THE POTENTIAL PRODUCTIVITY OF A TWO ACRE COMPLEX:
[Link to Productivity Page]
FARMS BUSINESS PLANNING GUIDEBOOK
to Contact Us]
[Back to Top] .
Last Edit: April 17, 2018.